Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Contrition

Dear God,

I'm sorry. I know it was wrong to gloat. As much as I loathe winter and was ready to hightail it out of America after that below 20 business in early December, I should not have snickered last week as I walked around Paris when it was 50 degrees and intermittently sunny. I should not have logged on to washingtonpost.com and baltimoresun.com just for the schadenfreude of seeing their 14 degree current temperatures and 10 degree forecasts.

I should have known that I cannot have my cake and eat it, too. There's no way of getting around winter, and You Have A Reason for that. Pangloss was right: all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds. Those one-off 70 degree days in February wouldn't seem so special if we didn't have 10 degree days in December, right? Or maybe you are trying to teach us a lesson about how comfortable we Americans are, and how the glory goes to you, not to ourselves, and how you can unleash destruction any time you care to.

So, as a penitent supplicant, I humbly ask you: could ya please knock the temperature up just a few degrees? It's frickin' freezing here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home