Saturday, November 19, 2005

been a while...

...since I done blogged. Random reflections:

- What does it say about our culture when I try to register a username with Blogger and it's already taken? Are there that many of us compelled to talk about ourselves in public that I need to register as disappearinginkk instead of disappearingink?

- I'm only now realizing why the experience of moving from Paris to Manhattan is so jarring. I moved from a leisurely city where my language is rarely spoken to a frantic city of people who, comparatively, look and sound just like me. Paris is spacious and shuts down at midnight. Manhattan is cramped and never sleeps. I was a spectre in Paris, but now I spend my days baring my soul and mind in print for anyone in the nosiest, most voyeuristic city in the world to see. There is enough room in Paris for the city's districts to spiral out like a conch shell, and the tallest structures are Tour Eiffel and Tour Montparnasse. Skinny Manhattan, an island shaped like a worn-down obsidian arrowhead, would sink under all of its vertical concrete and humanity if it wasn't founded on indestructable Manhattan Schist rock. Things could be worse. But I haven't left the city limits in almost four months, and I cannot wait to get to Baltimore over Thanksgiving, to leave this third-rate Babylon where people live like sardines in a can for the Land of Pleasant Living, which is, more so than ever, home.

- Another thing that's driving me nuts up here is that I'm too busy to write songs or play music. I haven't written a song since May. I started writing one tonight, which reminds me of the reason I posted in the first place...

- From the Spacy Idea Department: I'm thinking about blogging the act of songwriting. Tonight, I came up with the first 30 seconds of a song and two lines of lyrics, which I recorded into Pro Tools. (Note to anyone thinking about buying a four-track...don't. If your computer is powerful enough, just drop the $450 on an M-box and ProTools. When I came up with this song, I clicked four times--open Pro Tools, new file, new track, and enable recording--and hit the space bar, and immediately I was recording.)

This shell of a song is just sitting there now, and I'm not going to get back to it for a while. I'm thinking about posting an mp3 of the work in progress, along with the two lines of lyrics I've got so far and the backstory that got me there. Once it's up, anyone could collaborate. I could post mp3s as I go through the process of writing the song, and by making it a collaboration of as many people as want to participate, it might be much closer, in some strange way, to the truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger jayinbmore said...

Posting/collaborating over the interwebs was part of the idea of creating the glee cub, so feel free to jam it there if you want. Also, remined me at some point to give you access to the audioblog part where you can just upload and it'll appear in the stream.

2:56 PM  
Blogger disappearingink said...

Wyman Park Glee Club

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home